Sunday, August 19, 2012

Google Search Tips

Have you ever had a hard time finding what your looking for on the internet?  Below you will find different tips on how to use Google.

To get the most out of most Google features, I would recommend installing Google Chrome™ browser.

Google search services each have what are known as "search operators".  These operators help you find exactly what you are looking for.

Google Web Search™ has 16 search operators.  I am just going to cover a few of them, and then provide you a link for information on the rest, unless there are request to elaborate on the rest of them.
I like to use "site:" to perform a search on a specific website and/or domain.  For example, let's say that I want to find a Western Digital NAS (Network-Attached Storage) information, but I only want results from the Western Digital website.  I would search for "NAS site:wd.com" and I get 2,300 results as opposed to 1.17 billion results had I just searched for "NAS".  What's that?  You say 2,300 results is still too many.  I personally own a MyBook Live NAS.  If I search for "MyBook Live NAS site:wd.com", I get 613 results, versus 2.18 million results without the operator.

The "site:" search operator is also capable of eliminating results when used with the minus sign, such as "-site:".  If I wanted search results to omit Amazon.com from the search results, I would type, "MyBook Live NAS -site:amazon.com".

By the way, you can also search by domain extension such as ".com, .net, .org, etc..." or omit ".com, .net, .org, etc..." results from your search results.  For example, "MyBook Live NAS -site:.com", would omit results from any website domain ending in ".com".  Oh, before I forget, you don't have to type the "." before the domain extenstion.  "MyBook Live NAS -site:com" would still give you the same results.

In any case, just remember there is no space between the search operator and the domain name/domain extenstion, and you can put more than one search operators per search.  One example would be, "MyBook Live NAS -site:cnet.com -site:amazon.com", which would omit cnet.com and amazon.com from the results.  In case you haven't noticed, also omit the "www" from your search operators, and you can also use quote marks around your search terms to find exact phrases.
Back to the list

"define:" is a search operator that provides the definition of the word entered after the operator.  For example, "define:blog" will provide some definitions for the word "blog"
Back to the list

Have you ever wanted to find an online document or file based on file type?  We'll now you can by using the "filetype:" search operator.  For instance, "california map filetype:pdf" will return links to PDF files.  You can search for any file type.
Back to the list

There are lots of website that provide similar information even if the websites are not directly related to each other.  Let's pretend that I am shopping for a new car and I want to get different websites for car reviews.  I know of a website already because I used this website to help me find the car that I own right now.  The website is Edmunds.com which provides information on new and used cars, as well as car reviews.  I also want to find similar websites of that type.  The "related:" search operator comes to the rescue.

When I perform the following search, "related:edmunds.com", I get results like, kbb.com (Kelley Blue Book), cars.com (car finder website), autotrader.com (car finder and for sale by owner info.), etc...  These website provide similar information, thus the websites are,(dare I say) related.
Back to the list

If you are still awake, I applaud your efforts for staying awake.  If you are waking up on this sentence, I will provide a link to the wireless keyboard and mouse combo that I am using in case your drool ruined the keyboard.  I am also using "eneloop" batteries which last a long time, and are rechargeable.  I have been using them for a year, and I have not replaced the batteries yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment